Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Introductory Course (Virtual)
This course provides participants with an overview of the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) 4th Edition curriculum and serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification. Over three consecutive days (16.5 hours), this course examines how WRS addresses the teaching of phonemic awareness, word identification, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension through an integrated study of phonology, morphology, and orthography with students in grade two and above with persistent phonological coding deficits.
Participants learn about reading research, dyslexia, appropriate student identification and placement, program implementation, progress monitoring, scheduling, and creating a successful learning environment. Principles of language structure and how to teach language with direct, multisensory methods are demonstrated and practiced during the course. Participants explore the standard 10-part Wilson® Lesson Plan and practice planning and delivering a lesson while receiving modeling and feedback from a Wilson® Credentialed Trainer.
Participants may enroll in the WRS Level I Certification Training or the WRS Intensive Instruction: Online Course (Steps 1-6) within five years of completing a Wilson Introductory Course.
Participants will learn how to:
- Define dyslexia and describe common characteristics.
- Explain the process of identifying appropriate students and placing them in the Wilson Reading System.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative, engaging multiple learning modalities with multisensory techniques, repetition, and feedback.
- Create an optimal learning environment, prepare a lesson plan, and practice techniques.
- Understand the key components of instruction and presentation of lessons.
Friday-Sunday, March 5-7, 2021
8a-3p Mountain Standard Time; includes breaks and lunch break
$629 per participant
Please register by February 25, 2021 (in order for materials to be mailed to you in time for the workshop; participants may still register after this date but may be provided materials electronically). Registrants will be contacted prior to the course and provided a Zoom workshop link.