Download/view a PDF flyer with 2022-23 WRS Introductory Course dates.
This course provides participants with an overview of the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) 4th Edition curriculum and serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification. Over three consecutive days (16.5 hours), this course examines how WRS addresses the teaching of phonemic awareness, word identification, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension through an integrated study of phonology, morphology, and orthography with students in grade two and above with persistent phonological coding deficits.
Participants learn about reading research, dyslexia, appropriate student identification and placement, program implementation, progress monitoring, scheduling, and creating a successful learning environment. Principles of language structure and how to teach language with direct, multisensory methods are demonstrated and practiced during the course. Participants explore the standard 10-part Wilson® Lesson Plan and practice planning and delivering a lesson while receiving modeling and feedback from a Wilson® Credentialed Trainer.
Participants may enroll in the WRS Level I Certification or the WRS Intensive Instruction for the Nonresponsive Reader (Steps 1-6) Online Course within five years of completing a WRS Introductory Course.
Participants will learn how to:
- Define dyslexia and describe common characteristics.
- Explain the process of identifying appropriate students and placing them in the Wilson Reading System.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative, engaging multiple learning modalities with multisensory techniques, repetition, and feedback.
- Create an optimal learning environment, prepare a lesson plan, and practice techniques.
- Understand the key components of instruction and presentation of lessons.
Tue-Thur, Oct 25-27, 2022 (Virtual);
Tue-Thur, Nov 15-17, 2022 (Virtual);
Wed-Fri, Dec 14-16, 2022 (Virtual);
Wed-Fri, Feb 15-17, 2023 (Virtual);
Tue-Thur, Mar 7-9, 2023 (Virtual);
Tue-Thur, Apr 18-20, 2023 (Virtual)
8:30a-4p Mountain Standard Time; includes breaks
$659 per participant
Please register at least 2 weeks in advance. Although course materials are provided for participants, a WRS Introductory Set (Steps 1-6), 4th Edition is not. We encourage you to purchase your set directly from Wilson Language Training® to bring to your class.